co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

when metro doesn't open doors...

This is not my bus. No, that's the 38B bus--it runs from G'town over Key Bridge to Rosslyn in the evening. I know this because when I am waiting for the D5 to go home after work, the 38B comes by every 5 freakin' minutes. The Little Blue Bus, which also goes over Key Bridge to Rosslyn, comes every 10 minutes in the evening. The D5? Oh, Lordie--maybe every 20-30 minutes tops?? Yes, I am one of the lucky few who relies upon the D5; a rush-hour, one-way-only route, the D5 runs into town along MacArthur Blvd to M Street from 7 a.m. to 9. a.m, and runs outta town via M Street to MacArthur Blvd from 5:00-6:45 p.m. That's it folks--other than at those times, that bus does not exist. The D5 is a phantom. The following, which should speak for itself, is the 4th or 5th complaint I've written to the WMATA since I've lived in the Palisades (2 yrs 1 month).

Neither the 8:31 nor the 8:58 D5 ever came to 4474 MacArthur today, and I don't think the one scheduled before did, either. What happened?? The D5 is a rush-hour only bus; when the last two of the morning don't show up, people are stranded on their way to work. I had to take a $15 taxi, and I was quite late. It is unacceptable that the operator with whom I spoke at 8:51 a.m. could not give me any information on the where-abouts of our buses.

If the Lords of the Washington Metro write me back, I'll post their response.

On the up-side (I am a glass 1/2 full kinda gal, y'know), I got to spend about 40 minutes reading the Green Issue of Vanity Fair, in particular an article about the polar bears. Fantastic article, especially poignant on Earth Day. Also, on Sunday night Kurty and I watched Expedition Alaska and a few other great shows on Disco. I was feelin' earthy this week, especially as someone I knew is being returned to the earth. Figuratively, perhaps not literally.

Speaking of Earth Day, what do you do to help save the earth? I unplug my cell-phone charger when I'm not charging my phone. I turn off the water when I am brushing my teeth. I recycle as much as I can (not at work, ahem...). And I
don't drive a car (as you can tell from the above D5 debacle). I do turn on a lot of lights in my apartment, but we get absolutely no natural light in this shit-box, nor is there a lot of light in my cubbie at work; I think I would kill myself without getting at least some brightness all around for a few hours a day. Sorry, Al Gore. You know I love you and live try to live by my motto What Would Al Gore Do? but I can't be perfect. No one can. And there are few people capable of changing all their ways. But each of us can pick a few little things to be conscious of--that could make a HUGE difference, right?

BTW, how sexy is Madonna? Damn...

xoxox,
MPL

0 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

Post a Comment

<< Home