co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Commercials of Yesteryear

In preparation for this post, and the next couple, I've lately been instigating conversations with various people about commercials: the sucky ones of today and the great ones of yesteryear. I went into these conversations thinking we had no good commercials anymore, but I've actually found that there are a few that actually won't make me rush to change the channel.

First, let's start with the great commercials of yore; my next post will be crappy ones of today, followed by good ones of today...


Where's the Beef?

Parts is parts!
(Another Wendy's commercial, about contents of chicken nuggets.)







1) Plop Plop, Fizz Fizz, Oh What a Relief it Is!

2)
Mama Mia, that's a spicey meat-a ball!





I am stuck on Band Aid, 'cause Band Aid's stuck on me!



Once upon a time there was an engineer,
Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.
He had an engine and he sure had fun.
He used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!" Charlie says "Really rings my bell!"
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!" Don't know any other candy that I love so well!




Seagrams, Golden Wine Coolers, featuring Bruce Willis
(Click image to view with RealPlayer; it is a few of the commercials, but the only one I really remember is of him on the porch singing to the dog, using the bottle as his mike.)






"You got chocolate in my peanut butter!"
"Well, you got peanut butter on my chocolate!"




Ray Charles' Diet Pepsi
Testimonial ad (RealPlayer required)
Ray Charles' Diet Pepsi You Got The Right One, Baby, Uh-Huh!



Who walks the stairs without a care
It shoots so high in the sky.
Bounce up and down just like a clown
Everyone knows its Slinky.
The best present yet to give or get
The kids will all want to try.
The hit of the day when you are ready to play
Everyone knows it's Slinky.
It's Slinky, It’s Slinky for fun the best of the toys
It's Slinky, It’s Slinky the favorite of girls and boys.
(Click on the slinky to go to the site & hear the song)





I'm a Pepper! (Click on ad to watch.)






Gap Swing ad

(recent, but gone)


Your submissions to best of the old commericals? Stay tuned for the next post on today's worst commercials...


P.S. Thanks to DC Blogs for the shout-out about this post!

22 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 11:11 PM, August 09, 2005, Blogger The Captain said…

    Wow, posting this was a bad idea, I may be flooding your comments if I can recall anything memorable from my 80's youth.

     
  • At 11:19 PM, August 09, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Bring it on!

     
  • At 12:00 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    I liked the Apple 1984 commercial when it aired during a Superbowl, and Budweiser consistently comes up with good Superbowl ads.

    Not to sound too "girly," but I've always loved the oddity and minimalism of the Chanel ads, usually aired during the holiday season. Was it Egoist where the women were all screaming from shuttered windows then slamming them shut? The plane's shadow flying over the diving Speedo man in the pool for Chanel No. 5...Nicole Kidman being pursued.

    The Swedish model selling shave cream saying "Take it off. Take it ALL off." Too many to choose from, Miss P.

     
  • At 8:04 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    Yes! That's the Good 'n Plenty ad that I like!

    I can never listen to Madonna's "Holiday" without remembering a stupid '80s ad using that song: "Celebrate...Wendy's Nuggets..."

     
  • At 8:20 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger DC said…

    I always was a fan of

    A)Folger commercials "the best part of waking up is folgers in your cup!!"

    B)Oscar meyer and the song : my bologna has a first name.....

    C)I think it was GE but there was some commercial where the main characters were people who were lightbulbs and I can't remember if it was GE or a subsidiary..... I think I still have it on tape from when they played the Ewok adventure on tv and my parents taped it...... Ewok adventure.....anyone??? Battle for endor??? wow I'm a dork

     
  • At 9:10 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    "What do ya call it?"

    "Whatchamacallit."

    "I mean, what's it's name?"

    "I done told you the name."

    "Did not."

    "Did too."

    "You said 'Whatchamacallit'."

    "That's right!"

     
  • At 10:10 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger DC said…

    and can we ever forget the Nut N' Honey commercial??

    Wife: What are you eating?

    Husband: Nut N' honey

    Laughs for the whole family!!

     
  • At 10:40 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    I feel like Chicken Tonight
    Like Chicken Tonight

     
  • At 1:35 PM, August 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was always a big fan of the Bartle (sp?) & James commercials.

     
  • At 1:36 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Chase--

    "Thank you for your support."

    Those old guys were hilarious. A friend of mine in HS had the big, cardboard cu-out of them.

     
  • At 4:35 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Crazy Girl City said…

    Ahhhh Dr Pepper. I loved those. I met the guy who came up with that jingle. He was a guest speaker in my strategic mgmt class back in college.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, August 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just thought those old dudes were funny. I rememember that I couldn't wait until I could drink so I could have a wine cooler! (hey..I am from Kentucky...what do you expect!? hee hee)

     
  • At 4:47 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    We bought 2 liters of Sun Country Wine Coolers at the drug store in high school. Then we chugged them. Nothing like alcohol in a big plastic bottle. Ah, Ohio...

     
  • At 9:18 AM, August 11, 2005, Blogger DC said…

    OHHHH I just remembered.... the lightbulb people were for Sylvania...... anyone remember Sylvania????

     
  • At 10:37 AM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Dale--I do remember that commercial they had with the woman and her daughter having a portrait painted; Pachebel's Canon in D was playing. That's the one that sticks out in my mind...

     
  • At 5:35 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger The Captain said…

    Light Bright, Light Bright, turn on the magic of shining lights.

    And am I the only kid who owned a Bogglin?

     
  • At 6:10 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    We have a 4 sided light bright. OK, it is The Chef's son's, but still...

     
  • At 6:10 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger gwadzilla said…

    that I AM A PEPPER GUY was in something else
    was it American Werewolf in London?

     
  • At 6:11 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    What's a bogglin????

     
  • At 6:21 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Yes!! It is that same guy! His name is David Naughton, most recently seen in Sky Blue.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, August 12, 2005, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    OK, who's singing the Armour Hot Dog song?

    http://www.retrocrush.com/jingles/index.html

     
  • At 10:37 PM, August 12, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    OMG! Thank you for introducing me to that site!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home