co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

In The News...

I love express, the Post's free weekday paper. My Metro ride to Takoma should be 23 minutes, but takes about an hour (more on that later); therefore, express and I have become quite the companions. Anyway, here's a little recap of today's gems (must have Acrobat for that last link):

Mama always said:
Stupid is as Stupid does...

Inspired by the movie Forrest Gump, a guy from Connecticut is running across the US, with the goal of averaging 25 miles per day. Holy crap!

Upon
further research, I learned that he is 26 years old, was an accomplished runner at Fordham University in NY, and is mentally insane. No, really, he expects the run to take up to six months, and is transporting his stuff in a baby jogger. That's hot!









Stupid is as Stupid does...Part II


Apparently, putting venemous snakes in ones mouth is a great way to celebrate! This common practice in Bishanupur is a common sight at the Jhapan Hindu festival, as it is a way to worship Manasha, the snake god. Maybe someone will try this at the next blogger happy hour. I nominate The Actor.

Fool Me Once...

A bunch of people in Tulsa invested money in a fake bank that some 32 year old dude was running out of his apartment. Doh! 5 years of being someone's bitch sounds like good punishment...


I Am So, So Very Proud...

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Gov. Bob Taft was charged with four ethics violations Wednesday for failing to report dozens of gifts that included dinners, golf games and professional hockey tickets, deepening a scandal that has rocked Ohio's Republican Party.

Well, at least he is a member of the Republican party, more proof they're a bunch of dumb-asses.


Meanwhile, in my 1990-Present hometown...

Mayor Williams has a blog!! "As I welcome you to my blog I’m asking myself the question: What is a blog anyway?" Uh-Oh.

Last But Not Least:
Thanks a Lot for the Head's Up!!


On page 9 of express, we are forewarned that parts of the red line will be completely shut down over the weekend, and there will also be delays along the blue, orange, and yellow lines. Where have the "heads ups" been during the past couple months of trackwork around Fort Totten? My 23 minute commute is more than an hour sometimes. Yet (since I strive to be a half-glass-full kinda gal), despite the frustration and extra time, at least I have my express...

9 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 5:43 PM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Ed said…

    Count me in as another Ohioan who thinks Taft is an idiot. Than again, the entire Ohio Republican party is filled with crooks.

    Wait. So is the national one.

     
  • At 5:59 PM, August 18, 2005, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    That snake-eating crap gives me the willies. I hate snakes. But god help us if anyone ever did that with a possum. I HATE those things! I think I'd barf.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Ohio politics has a long history of corruption. Does Wayne Hays ring a bell? Taft is just par for the course.

    Taft takes graft?

    Welcome to the Heartland: O$hi$O.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, August 19, 2005, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    This is SO not involved with your post and completely random,but being Miss Penny Lane, I thought I'd ask you. I read in EW last night that there is a longer version of Almost Famous on DVD that is longer and contains a ton of stuff that ended up on the editing room floor, which Crowe released. Wondering if you've seen it? I'm very curious now as the theatre/regular version is sooo fab!

    Smooches

     
  • At 4:11 PM, August 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Snakes freak me the f*ck out. Just one more reason I am not religious...

     
  • At 1:15 AM, August 20, 2005, Blogger The Captain said…

    Cookie, you can't hate all snakes.

    At my job, they have CNN running 24 hours a day. Did anyone see the news flash that Norway has made a penguin, named Olav, a colonel in their army? A penguin.

    Do we ask Norway for assistance when we get involved in wars? I think we might want to reconsider that.

     
  • At 10:21 PM, August 20, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Pretty in Pink--

    Seen it? Heard of it?? I COVET it!! ;) It is called "Untitled" and comes with the Almost Famous DVD. It is the only version I watch anymore, and even brought it with me on vacation. Of course, the theatrical release is awesome, but once you see Untitled, you won't go back! And the commentary with Cameron and his mom is the best of any I've heard, since the movie is based on his life...

     
  • At 5:05 PM, August 25, 2005, Blogger L.N. Smithee said…

    Say what you want about the misdeeds of Taft, but don't say that he's a "dumbass," an "idiot" and a "crook" because he's a Republican. What Taft did doesn't come close to a mayor paying a hooker with a personal check (Jerry Springer, Democrat, sleazemonger, Air America radio host, and the pride of Cincinnati).

    Between Taft, Springer, Kucinich and Traficant, I think it has less to do with being Democrat or Republican as much as it has to do with being from Ohio.

    Tough talk coming from a Californian, huh? Good thing I'm right.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    I love that about Jerry Springer--hilarious. I'm not a hard-core Ohioan, so no offense taken.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home