co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Chance Encounter

Several years ago, around this time of year, I first met my love. Actually, it was a bit earlier in the fall, sometime in October that we met (but it was exactly several years ago this week that we got it on for the first time--tee hee). I recall that the weather was a bit warmer, similar to last week's "Indian Summer," as I was running (at that time I was a hard core runner--gotta get back to that!) down Connecticut Avenue in shorts, a little tee, and sunglasses. I ran my usual path to Rock Creek Park and, as reliable as the sun rising in the morning and setting at night, "The O" was sitting at a table outside the Starbucks. As I ran by, I would always give "The O" a high-five or a wave, depending on where he was sitting. I almost never actually stopped, since that was only 10 or 15 minutes into my run. On this particular occasion, "The O" was sitting with someone and, for some unknown reason, I stopped to sit and chat. That decision changed my life. ("Holla" to "The O"!!)

Over the next several weeks, we kept running into each other at Aroma, and we would have long talks at one of the side tables. His charisma, fantastic smile, great ass, and passion for his work and his son made it really easy to fall for him. Over the years, we have had some really wonderful times, but we have also had to get through more rough periods than any relationship should have to endure.

So, since it is a sort of anniversary for us, and his birthday is coming up in a week and a half, I just wanted to take this public opportunity to tell him how much I love him and how much I appreciate that he has stood by me through thick and thin (literally and figuratively). Unless I were to write one myself, no song can accurately capture our relationship or my feelings about this wonderful guy, but I think there are many lines in Joni Mitchell's Case of You that do a pretty damn good job, so here goes:

Just before our love got lost you said,
"I am as constant as a northern star."
And I said, "Constantly in the darkness
Where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the bar."

On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue TV screen light
I drew a map of Canada
Oh Canada
With your face sketched on it twice

Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you, darling
And I would still be on my feet
Oh I would still be on my feet


Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid

I remember that time you told me,
you said,"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine'
Cause part of you pours out of me

In these lines from time to time

Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you, darling
Still, I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours
She knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds
And she said,"Go to him, stay with him if you can
But be prepared to bleed"

Oh but you are in my blood
You're my holy wine
You're so bitter, bitter and so sweet
Oh, I could drink a case of you, darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

Some photos...

His birthday 2003

His birthday dinner, 2003

(First time I met most of his family. WTF is up with my hair??? This is before his sister became my hair stylist!)




July 2005


At a gala in November 2003



At the same gala--we do a lot of laughing together, and in this shot, I think I almost peed myself from laughing so hard.




10 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

Post a Comment

<< Home