co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

"Oh No You Dih-int!!!" Part II

OK, so after my experience with the rude delivery guy, I gave Mr. Chen’s another chance (and another, and another….). Well, last night was one of those nights: we didn’t feel like cooking, LOST was coming on soon, and we were just craving vegetable steamed dumplings and the best ever Hot & Sour soup. The Chef had to run down to the store to get some ingredients for an amazing tart recipe he’s submitting in a contest (more on that soon), and the food arrived from Mr. Chen’s while he was gone. I handed the young delivery guy the 2 twenties that C had left for me, asking for $10 back (which was leaving him almost $4 in tip). He gave me a wide-eyed look. I was thinking, “You’ve got to be kidding me! That’s a good tip!” but then I saw him silently fingering the corner of one of the twenties. Turns out it had a torn off corner; I hadn’t even noticed, as it was really just about 2 centimeters missing from the bill. Seriously, his expression was implying that I was trying to pull a fast one over on him. “You have another?” he finally asked. “No,” I said calmly, “That’s the only cash I have, but it is fine…you can still use it.” Again, he looked at me like I am a total loon, so I said, “Really, it is still usable, it’s just the tip of the corner that’s missing. You can use it even if a lot more than that were missing.” He just stood there, so I started getting annoyed, “You can’t be serious?!” I asked. “I’ll call my boyfriend and see when he’ll be home, but I don’t think he has another twenty, anyway.” I ran around looking for my cell and dialed C’s number, but he didn’t answer. I went back to the door and said, “I can’t get in touch with him, and I have no other money, so….” I started to hand the bag o' food back to him. Finally he said, “It’s OK, but I will have to come back if I can’t take it.” I was like, “Yeah, I guess I won’t be seeing you then, since there won’t be a problem.”

OK, am I just looking for shit to piss me off, or is that just a little odd?? I recognize that the guy is from China, but he’s been delivering for Mr. Chen’s for a while and he has to have come across torn and/or ripped money in his past--probably in China, too. I’m considering only ordering from them when I have money in my account to pay by Visa, or maybe I will give up on them altogether for the place up the street that has much better dumplings (but not the vegetarian hot & sour soup that Chen's has).


OK, that's all I got. Pray for something interesting to happen in the entertainment world so I have something to blog about tomorrow.

xoxo,
MPL

14 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 4:53 PM, November 10, 2005, Blogger Poppy said…

    I am pretty sure that US currency is still acceptably by any agency or business as long as there is more than 50% left of the bill. One corner missing shouldn't even have been a thought in his mind. The grubby bloody taped up cocaine-laced graffitied money I get from the grocery store is still legal tender, so why wouldn't a bill with a small piece missing? Not like any identifying numbers were missing from it. Crying out loud, people.

     
  • At 6:38 PM, November 10, 2005, Blogger Bat said…

    boo guess who -- new blog new look --- I got your email about the 20th :-)

     
  • At 9:14 PM, November 10, 2005, Blogger Justin24601 said…

    Mother of Mercy: Please let Britney Spears do something really stupid, Christina do something really slutty, Madonna something really boring.

    Amen.

    You should be ok.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, November 11, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    MPL, I think it is time to call this restaurant back and place an order, and this time, have a giant bag of pennies to pay him with.

     
  • At 10:26 AM, November 11, 2005, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    that's totally nuts. i get cash that looks like it's been through the washing machine eight times and no one has ever refused it. maybe it's time to change restaurants.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, November 11, 2005, Blogger A Unique Alias said…

    That's nuts. Use Eddie Cafe; they're better than Mr. Chen's.

    Phil - - to pay him with, or to beat him with? :-D

     
  • At 11:48 AM, November 11, 2005, Blogger The Senator said…

    Sounds like you are not the only one having difficulty w/ restaurants. Did you hear that The Dean came into a "certain" restaurant brandishing a hammer because of valet parking issues at the headquarters?

    If not, funny story for another time.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, November 11, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    It's actually not a funny story at all...not to me, anyway. I happen to work at that restaurant (remember??) and I am so effing glad I wasn't there that night, and that they don't know my association with you guys. Although I completely understand the anger at the valet for parking in his spots, a calm approach (sans hammer!) for a 1st time offense by a new valet would have sufficed, especially since #1) the managers of the restaurant have no idea where the valets are parking cars, and #2) they would have taken care of it right away since they are such great people and don't want their customers or the neighborhood inconvenienced. Also, a hammer to someones car only hurts the owner of the car, who also has no idea where their car is being parked by a valet. "A funny story" would have been to approach with a hammer the idiot VALET who parked in an illegal spot (The Deans back yard!!), not make a scene on a busy night inside the restaurant.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, November 11, 2005, Blogger ikins said…

    Don't give up on Chen's yet - it's too yummy.
    We ordered from there Saturday. Lucky for us we paid by credit card, but our delivery guy just had issues getting in the front door. By now shouldn't these city delivery guys now how to work their way through apartment security?

     
  • At 12:10 AM, November 12, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    One more strike?

     
  • At 9:40 AM, November 14, 2005, Blogger cs said…

    I can't believe you pulled the old "ripped $20" on that guy. He must be new. Good job.

    As for the hammer and the valet parking, what kind of managers don't know what their valets are doing? Sounds like the Enron defense.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, November 14, 2005, Blogger truk said…

    Seriously, Mass, the restaurant managers don't know where the valets take each car...

    The restaurant managers manage the restaurant, the valets are a contract hired business that is managed by the "valet management".

     
  • At 2:05 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Johnny said…

    We're on to you cell phone bandit
    (and counterfeiteress incomparable)!!!

     
  • At 2:13 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Ah, you got me...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home