co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

All the Chicks I Shagged Before I Knocked Up Your Mom...

Last month, I discussed Monday night TV. Kitchen Confidential never really caught me, but since it comes on after Arrested Development, I would watch it or have it on in the background while I blogged or cooked dinner in the other room. Lately, the MLB playoffs have been bumping all regular shows on Fox, and since neither the Indians nor the Nationals are part of the action, I have been channel surfing the past couple o' Mondays. Twice now, I have watched How I Met Your Mother on CBS at 8:30. This is the scoop:

Narrated through flashbacks from the future,
How I Met Your Mother is a comedy about Ted (Josh Radnor) and how he met and fell in love with the woman he eventually married. The shows usually begin and end with an off-camera Ted telling his teenaged son & daughter stories about his life "back in the day." His quest for true love all starts when Ted's best friend, Marshall (Jason Segal), drops the bombshell that he's going to propose to his long-time girlfriend, Lily (Buffy's and American Pie's Alyson Hannigan), a kindergarten teacher. At that moment, Ted realizes that he had better get a move on if he too hopes to find true love. Helping him in his quest is Barney (former Dr. Doogie Howser, Neil Patrick Harris), a friend with endless, sometimes outrageous opinions, a penchant for suits and a foolproof way to meet women. When Ted meets Robin (Cobie Smulders), he's sure it's love at first sight, but destiny may have something else in store.

It never would have occurred to me to watch this show, but I have been more than pleasantly surprised--it is really funny and apropos to my life in many ways. Barney even intersperses conversations with "Yeah, I was writing about that on
my blog..." Turns out, the character actually has a blog, which is a good read. If you're home on a Monday, give it a shot!

8 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 7:10 AM, October 21, 2005, Blogger Johnny said…

    Yep the show is good and uncannily modern. The episode I saw is where they went to a club while Hannagan and husband were torn between "getting older" and "clubbing like college kids".

    Funny!

     
  • At 1:54 PM, October 21, 2005, Blogger I-66 said…

    how are women like fish again? haha

     
  • At 2:08 PM, October 21, 2005, Blogger Dop T said…

    I've had a slight tingle for Neil Patrick Harris for a few years now. But then I just love me the dorks.

     
  • At 4:19 PM, October 21, 2005, Blogger ikins said…

    I have fallen in love with this show! I missed episode 2 though, so I don't know what actually happened between Ted and Robin since they're not a couple.
    I heart Doogie Howser on this show!
    And Jason Segal - only second best after his stint on Freaks and Geeks

     
  • At 11:03 PM, October 21, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Berry-- THANK YOU! I thought I recognized that dude--apparently I didn't get enough of that annoying "Where's that guy from" vibe and I just passed it off as "I think I recognize everyone," b/c I didn't even click on his bio or IMDB him. Freaks and Geeks was fantastic.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, October 22, 2005, Blogger Stef said…

    I agree, I'm starting to really like this show. The cast is great and I like their funny take on things. The episode in the club that was so loud they needed subtitles was pretty darn clever. And I love Jason Segal - my favorite F&G guy by far!

     
  • At 2:18 PM, October 25, 2005, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    I love that show. It really cracks me up!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, October 25, 2005, Blogger USB said…

    And...guess who narrates? Yep, it's Bob Sagat...Funny to hear good ol' Bob narrate a sitcom then seeing him with Hookers and a Bong on 'Entourage'

     

Post a Comment

<< Home