co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

MOVE THE EFF OVER!!

Got out to mail the postcards I wrote on Monday...the 5 of you will get them after I get back, I am sure. Oh well, it is the thought that counts. I decided to keep riding, and ended up at Katama Beach (AKA South Beach).
Katama Beach on Martha's Vineyard
Some things never change, though. Just like tourists stand on both sides and in the middle of the Metro escalator, Vineyard newcomers ride their bikes all over the path (the bike paths here are great, by the way). It doesn't matter if I am all the way to my right, the people coming toward me always seem oblivious and refuse to move over to their right. I am waiting for the time that I actually collide with another biker because the only other option they've left me is to move into on-coming car traffic. Trying to pass people on the paths, especially huge families, can prove to be really dangerous, as well, since they are literally all over the path, whether they are riding or just standing there waiting for their kids' trantrums to be over. I cheerfully say "On your left!" when approaching from behind those fellow bikers who seem to be clueless, but that does nothing...absolutely nothing. Nonetheless, it was a great, hard-core ride, and my legs were jelly when I got home.

10 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 4:24 PM, August 25, 2005, Blogger truk said…

    Just play chicken with them, they will move over...

     
  • At 4:58 PM, August 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ha ha...that is a good idea!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, August 25, 2005, Blogger Ed said…

    Hope the weather's as nice up there as it is here in DC!

     
  • At 7:46 PM, August 25, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Thanks, Ed, My Fellow Buckeye! The weather is fantastic; only a few hours of late afternoon rain.

    As for playing chicken, it won't work, I promise. I have too many times come too close to being the one that loses!

     
  • At 12:11 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    Do you have a bell? Of course you'll get sick of hearing yourself ring it... but I find it helps if you start ringing a bit before you get to the point where you are desperately trying to avoid crashing into them.

     
  • At 1:31 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    SIRYN!!! Yea!! So glad you are here!!

    No bell, Love. But my bro, when I expressed this annoyance about the bike paths here in MV, said that when he rides his bike to work every day down Cap Crescent, he hates the people who constantly ring the bell. Then again, that is a different thing since those are all the regular weekday morning riders. I thought that here "On your left" would be good enough.....not the case.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger cs said…

    Ah the Vineyard...been there once. A lovely place. Also a place that figures heavily in Richard Russo's Empire Falls. Brilliant book.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    Personally, I hate my bell too. I don't use it if I don't need to. But if a group of people look particularly vapid, I use it in advance to get their attention. I usually use some balance of the bell and "On your left." I am usually a weekend, rider, though.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Dripping with envy...all your beach pictures are making me want another vacation.

     
  • At 3:35 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    I'm pea green with envy too, Miss Penny. I adore Cape Cod. Enjoy your time there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home