co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Latest News

First off: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DIRTY BIRDY KURTY McFLIRTY!!!!!!! I loves ya somethin' awful, even if you are old as dirt. (Just jokin'.)

In the spirit of the season, a couple o' things for which I am thankful:
--I have been on a hiatus from retail, so this was the first time in years that I was not forced to deal with Black Friday. Woo-hoo!! It didn't even occur to me to venture to a mall (I hate hate hate malls). Actually, I didn't even go outside until 5 p.m. on Friday.
--Chase is feeling a lot better after her emergency surgery. I hung out with her for a couple of hours on Tuesday, and she was still in a lot of pain. When I spoke with her today, she sounded a lot more energetic, and said that she has been able to walk around a little bit more.
--My sister came home for the weekend from Wisconsin, where she is getting her Masters. She spent part of the term attempting to impregnate monkeys via IVF. Fun stuff. Anyway, it was great to see her and hold her hand during Shopgirl last night (good book, good movie).
====================================

Well, there's been a lot going on in the celebrity world as of late, so here are a few updates:

Set your Tivo, VCR, or stay up to watch Oprah finally appear on Letterman on December 1st (Thursday). It has been 16 years since she was last on Letterman, and that was back when he was on NBC! We all remember the notorious feud over the "Uma... Oprah... Oprah... Uma" thing, but I am thrilled that her need to promote the opening night of The Color Purple on Broadway will bring her to the Ed Sullivan Theatre for what will surely be an exciting interview.

During Thanksgiving dinner, my sister said to me, "Did you hear about Nick and Jessica?!" "Yeah, yeah," I responded. "That's been going around forever." "No!" She insisted. "This time it is for real! They even released a statement." Sho 'nuff, as you all know by now, the two have called it splits after three years of marriage. Hmmm, was it his lack of career while hers soared? Was it infidelity? Was it that she was just too young when they married? As a divorcee myself, I know that no one ever knows the truth of what goes on in a marriage, and sometimes (usually) it is a culmination of a lot of things that bring it to an end. I wish them both the best, but I do wonder who will be the first to publicly hook up with someone new. Anyone care to place bets?

Pat Morita died on Thanksgiving Day. Best known for his roles as Al on Happy Days and Mr. Miyagi in the Karate Kid movies, he died of natural causes at his home in Vegas. "Born in northern California on June 28, 1932, the son of migrant fruit pickers, Morita spent most of his early years in the hospital with spinal tuberculosis, according to the AP. He later recovered only to be sent to a Japanese-American internment camp in Arizona during World War II. " Did ya know...Morita was nominated for an Oscar for Karate Kid? Me neither!

The Surreal Life flows into real life now that Peter Brady (Christopher Knight) and Adrianne Curry are engaged. He, of course, is from The Brady Bunch, and she was a winner of America's Next Top Model (how's that working for her?). The two met while on the aforementioned VH1 reality show, and allowed their romance to be followed for My Fair Brady on which their wedding will also be featured. He is 48, she is 23, and they do not a bad looking couple make... Let's hope this one lasts.

Last weekend, Eva (eee-vah, not ay-vah, according to her) Longoria hosted SNL. I have to say, she was really good! There were no mistakes, her skits were really funny, and she didn't reference the cue cards like other hosts do. Good job, grrl.


And, last but not least, file this one under "My best friend Rachel and I coulda told ya that ten years ago!" People names Matthew McConaugh-hey! hey! (AKA: Matthew McConaugh-yummy) as this year's sexiest man alive. Duh! Other guys who made the cut were:



10 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 8:49 PM, November 27, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    Happy B'day, Chef!

    I too was stunned to read Morita was nominated for an Oscar for his role as Miyagi. How could we have forgotten that??

    Get well soon, Chase!

     
  • At 11:04 PM, November 27, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    So much celeb dirt to go around.

    RIP Mr. Morita.

    Get better quick, Chase!

    And Matthew McConaughey... ho yeah, too bad he's with that doorknob Penelope Cruz.

    I loved seeing so many of the men of Lost in there. Lost is a veritable cornucopia of hot men! Rawr!

     
  • At 11:06 PM, November 27, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    oh, and happy birthday, Chef!

     
  • At 1:49 AM, November 28, 2005, Blogger kb said…

    that was enough pop-dirt to last me for weeks. thanks for the update, i clearly needed it!

     
  • At 4:13 PM, November 28, 2005, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Yay - happy birthday Chef-ski!

     
  • At 12:08 AM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Me! said…

    Anderson Cooper is gay??? Please tell me it isn't so!!

     
  • At 11:41 AM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Crazy Girl City said…

    Happy Bday Chef!

    Also, I bet Jessica will be the first to go public with a new fling. Although I heard on the radio that nick was seen partying it up with various random gals this past weekend.

    I have this feeling Nick will hook up with a 'commoner'......and Jessica will go with someone famous.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Dop T said…

    You just saved me $5 from buying People for the week. Thanks! And amen on Patrick Dempsey - but then I have a thing for tall, lean dorky types.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    I am so sad about Pat :-( I thought I saw something about his death on the crawl on CNN on Thursday night, and made Fred watch some boring show in order to watch the crawl to see it come up again...but never did. So thanks for the update; I had forgotten about it until I read your blog!

     
  • At 9:45 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger kris said…

    Must watch A Time To Kill just to watch Matty sweating in that Southawwwwwn heat . . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home