co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

November 18th Ain't Soon Enough (Revised with quotes from RS interview)

I've had a thing for Joaquin Phoenix since he was in Parenthood (as Leaf Phoenix) way back in 1989 (if you've never seen Parenthood, run to Blockbuster or add it to your queue ASAP!), so I would be excited about Walk the Line regardless of its plot. Fortunately, The Artist Formerly Known As The Chef introduced me to Johnny Cash several years ago, so I am even more anxious to see the Johnny Cash bio, opening November 18th. Oscar buzz has already begun for Joaquin's performance, as well as Reese Witherspoon's portrayal of June Carter Cash. Joaquin does all the singing and guitar playing, and it is seriously fucking eerie how much he sounds like Johnny. Joaquin is a hard core bad ass.

Watch the trailer for Walk the Line, and tell me he isn't incredible. Also, check out this month's Rolling Stone for a really great article with (and a super hot photo of) Joaquin
. Hint: He absolutely hates any questions about anything other than the movie he is promoting and has a tendency to walk out on interviews, which the interviewer knows. She, nonetheless, decides she has to push his buttons by asking a personal question worthy of fucking Bop magazine [sidebar: I can't believe that mag still exists!!], so he ends the interview like this:

    It sucks when you spend four months prepping for something and its reduced to this shit... The press always looks for an angle. Well, fuck, man. I think the angle is that Reese and I spent fucking four months prepping for a fucking movie and we learned to sing and play instruments. If that's not enough for a fucking story, then I don't know what you need me to do -- shoot myself on the fucking set? What is going to satisfy people's need for sensationalism?


Then, when the bitch keeps sticking her foot in her mouth so far that her toes come out her ass by asking why he hates interviews, he retorts with:

    It really taints what's beautiful about acting and makes me lose interst in working. I don't have the desire to be the subject of conversation.

He stood up and said "I quit." and left. Yee haw!! You all know just by reading this crap-fest of a blog that I am a pop-culture whore, but I actually love that Joaquin is so private and that I know absolutely nothing about him.

17 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 6:12 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger kris said…

    I so totally was in the elevator of the Baltimore Waterfront Marriott with Joaquin at 7 one morning. Cute stuff. Cute, cute stuff. The view, the smells, still so vivid . . .

     
  • At 6:13 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    YOU LUCKY BITCH!!!!

     
  • At 8:31 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger Me! said…

    Joaquin is a hottie. He's a great actor. I think the buzz on this movie may turn out to be true. I've heard really good things.

    Parenthood is a classic. Vibrator. Enough said.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    ~Stacy--my best friend (who lives in 'nati, too!) and I can speak entirely in movie quotes, one of which is from Parenthood:

    "Show 'im, Honey."

    Can ya place it??!

     
  • At 1:19 AM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Jinxy said…

    I shot a man in Reno.

    Once.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    OUCHOUCHOUCH...he is SO HOT!!!!

    As for the Parenthood quote, off the top of my head (no pun intended), I would guess talking to the police after the car accident when she's gone done on husband, Steven Martin, to "relax him."

     
  • At 8:32 AM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    and that would be "down" not "done" but maybe they were done before impact. Sorry, it's still early in the a.m.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said…

    this is River's lil bra, yes?

     
  • At 10:41 AM, September 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cannot wait to see this movie! It is going to be awesome! And yes, Joaquin is a major hottie and amazing actor. I am glad he is starting to get more recognition for his work.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    You forgot Leaf Phoenix was in Spacecamp first, with Tate Donovan, Kelly Preston, Lea Thompson...

    "Max in space!"

     
  • At 12:03 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    I didn't forget, I just never saw Spacecamp. Well, I think they showed it as the Saturday night movie at summer camp one year, but I was probably too busy chatting or getting into trouble to really remember it...

    Seriously, I can't fucking tell what half the letters are in the damn word verification.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    I, too, look forward to this one. It is going to be the first really good movie out in a long, long time (I hope).

     
  • At 2:35 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Ed said…

    Johnny Cash was one of the top 10 coolest white guys on the planet. Nothing beats the Man in Black.

    I'm looking forward to this movie

     
  • At 4:05 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger mysterygirl! said…

    I think he was a great choice to play Johnny Cash. I bet the movie will be good.

    And I love interviews that go like that. I mean, I'm a celebrity gossipwhore, but that doesn't mean celebrities should have to share all their personal info in interviews-- I mean, can't the paparazzi take care of that for us? :) haha

     
  • At 5:34 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    That Details article looks intense; I'll get back to it later. The picture are h-o-t HOT!

     
  • At 9:00 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Drew said…

    Johnny Cash - greatest thing ever to come out of Arkansas. Actually, Chris Martin played an awful tribute to 'The Man in Black' at last Friday's Coldplay concert in Dallas. I had to explain his greatness to my Australian fiancee. I was so embarrassed.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, October 06, 2005, Blogger bdogg_mcgee said…

    I Luuuuurve Joaquin Phoenix...he's just so delicious!

    And he does his own singing! That's too cool--you know that Sissy Spacek and Beverly D'Angelo did their own singing in Coal Miner's Daughter for the characters Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline, respectively? They both sounded eerily like the original singers too....

    Wow--I can't wait!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home