co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Friday, October 14, 2005

I Quit!

I know that in order to quit anything, I have to want to do it. Well, I am only part-way there, but I am gonna quit anyway because it is better for my health, it will save me money, and it means a whole hell of a lot to The Chef/Master Carpenter. Since I love the hell outta him, and I am sick of waking up with my pores reeking of nicotine, I decided it is time. Although I am mainly "just" a "social smoker," it has gotten to the point where I rarely go a day without at least one cigarette. When I was in high school and college, I was a regular smoker, sometimes at the point of a pack a day. I've successfully quit before (I guess not so "successfully" if I went back to it after a few years, huh?), so I know I can do it again. A lot of my friends smoke, so it will be hard when I'm with them, or when I am drinking, but not everything can be easy. I am posting this so that I am accountable, and I am asking my friends to help me out when I am with them (don't let me bum off of ya!). Listen, this is about me; I am not judging others for smoking, I am not advocating the DC smoking ban (so back off, RCR), and I will still be smoking other things...

18 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 2:35 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger The Senator said…

    Good work, MPL. I like this post considering you tried to bum one from me last night. (wink). If I weren't w/ this damn head cold, I woulda been enjoying one with you.

    I'll help you quit. I want to as well.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Yeah, well, the decision to quit came from last night, so there ya go. Not buying them myself is step one. Not bumming off my friends who spend their hard-earned money on them is step 2...

     
  • At 3:19 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    Good for you MPL. Cigarette smoking is a nasty habit. You should switch to pipes to help you wean yourself from your nicotine addictions.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger cs said…

    MPL with a pipe would be a good blogger photo I think. although judging from her comments, I think she has used some sort of pipe, though maybe not for tobacco (or crack).

    Maybe you could send her a photo selection of your finest smoking accessories, Phil.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I started 'socially' smoking at 27. Who does that? I think it's revolting, until about 3 glasses of wine are down the hatch, and then it becomes appealing. I really hope this wears off...

     
  • At 5:05 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Poppy said…

    You can do it!!!!! :) (Wow, there's a load of wisdom for ya...)

     
  • At 6:05 PM, October 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you, MPL! I need to as well! Maybe we can do it together. I quit once too and then went right back to it 6 months later! It's just so hard when you are drinking not to want one. Damn the addictive nicotine!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Dop T said…

    I support you. Smoking does so much damage. And personally, I won't date anyone who smokes. Biased? Maybe. Judgmental? Sure. My choice? You betcha!

     
  • At 8:47 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger truk said…

    At 42, and never smoked a cigarette I dont know how hard it is to quit but I am here to support you!

     
  • At 9:00 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Justin24601 said…

    I'm with ya, honey....my "social" smoking has turned to plain, nasty smoking.

     
  • At 10:07 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger kris said…

    MPL, I'm with you. Can't we just socially (read: with the drinkies) smoke, though? ;)

     
  • At 11:11 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Bry-Bry--

    What white letters on pink background? The letters are all shades o' purple on white...

    Chef-- A) You are a month shy of 43. Face it. B) You better be there to support me, Sugar!!

     
  • At 11:52 AM, October 15, 2005, Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said…

    A former lobbyist for the Tobacco Institute once told a friend of mine that they determined that you should not smoke more than 10 fags a day. Any amount over that and the body cannot process/flush/cleanse the toxins etc. Therefore, I tend to smoke 10-15 a day, of course.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, October 16, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    Good luck, Penny! You can do it. :)

     
  • At 11:31 PM, October 16, 2005, Blogger Me! said…

    Congrats. Although I never took up the habit, I know how hard of a struggle it by watching the people I care about do it. Just remember when you're angry and want to kill someone as the nicotine defiency is slowing coursing through your veins-- don't do it. Breathe and try not to snap.

     
  • At 3:28 AM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Bryan--

    I see whatcha mean. Ewww! Yeah, *hate that*. I wonder if I have any control of that? I will find out...Mama likes to be in control... ;)

     
  • At 10:18 AM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Good luck, MPL!!!! You are going to be in kick-ass shape and health in about six months... Just you wait!

     
  • At 11:28 AM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Crazy Girl City said…

    Good Luck MPL! I quit regular everyday smoking about a year and a half ago. I'll still have one every now and then when I drink, but even that is decreasing as of lately.

    I promise, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER when you are finally done with it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home