co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me?

So, here and now, I am admitting to the whole (blogging) world that when I was 12 and 13 (around 1983-84), I was in love with Boy George. There, I said it. I know that this was major foreshadowing into my future as a big fag hag, so no need to point that out! My BFF in junior high school, Mandy, and I would go over to her house after school and watch MTV (my parents still don’t have cable). Karma Chameleon was on heavy rotation and I would literally kiss the screen every time Boy George came on (Mandy was hot for Jon Moss).

On my 13th birthday, I went to see Culture Club with Mandy as my guest; besides trips with the whole family to see Peter, Paul & Mary, this was my very first concert. As a favor, my oldest brother agreed to chaperone us so that we wouldn’t have to be embarrassed by going to the concert with my parents (no comments from the peanut gallery telling me that going to a Culture Club concert was embarrassing enough). Being that he was a huge Police, Kinks, Clash, and Joe Jackson fan, Steven was a good sport--he even did the white man’s overbite during Karma Chameleon.

Ah, but all of this is just leading up to what happened to The Boy today. The Artist Fomerly Known As The Chef and I were at Spices when this story came across the news scroll. Kinda makes me wanna check over my entire apartment before calling the police to report a robbery:

    "He's a very social person. He has a lot of people over to his apartment," Mr Freeman added.
    'Sizeable amount'
    Boy George, whose real name is George O'Dowd, called police on Friday to report a burglary. Officers allegedly found drugs next to a computer in his apartment.
    Substances found in the 13 plastic bags weighed more than one-eighth of an ounce (3.5g) in total, the legal papers stated.
    "That is a sizeable amount of drugs," said Maggie Gandasegui from Manhattan's Special Narcotics Prosecutors office.
    O'Dowd, 44, faces one charge of drug possession and a charge of falsely reporting an incident. He returned to London on Sunday following his release.
    After attaining global success as a member of pop group Culture Club, Boy George became addicted to heroin but kicked the habit to become a solo artist and DJ.
    His autobiographical musical Taboo became a hit in London but closed after less than three months on Broadway.

9 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

Post a Comment

<< Home