co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Race to the Thinnest

A year and a half ago, the scale was my best friend. I worked my ass off on a daily basis, maintained for several years my lowest weight since 9th grade, and felt fantastic. Today, notsomuch... Last night, The Artisit Formerly Known as The Chef made me get on the scale, something I haven't done in many months, which is odd since I gladly used to do it every day. (Yeah, it was much easier when I knew I'd be happy with the number!) Anyway, it was worse than I expected. Worse!! I mean, I know my muscle tone is all but gone, and my clothes don't fit, but no one expects the news to be worse than they thought! Erg! So, TAFKAC and I made an agreement to start today on the task of taking better care of ourselves, hense the official dropping on this blog of his "Chef" alias. On the menu instead will be lots of exercise, very healthy eating, and a fierce competition to see who can get to Goal #1 first. If I win: a shopping trip (it has been a long time, so this will be a huge treat). If he wins: a nice dinner at his favorite restaurant (where I will sip water and have a side salad--not!).

So far, at 1:16 p.m. on day 1, I am winning.











P.S. Today is 6 months until I am officially in my mid-30s. Gulp...

15 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 2:21 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Poppy said…

    I am so looking forward to being in my golden years it's not funny. When we both get there let's live together like Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, and Betty White. Whee! Oh, and let's not forget to gorge ourselves on cake every episode.

     
  • At 3:21 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    Why didn't you include Estelle Getty?

     
  • At 3:48 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Crazy Girl City said…

    I haven't been on a scale in a long time........I just felt my body starting to change and knew I needed to make some adjustments. Water instead of soda at work. Work out. Cut back on the carb intake.....which as been huge.

    I hope you win your shopping spree MPL!

     
  • At 4:26 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Poppy said…

    Phil, because she was just the mom! She was one of the "Way Past Golden Girls." :)

    MPL, have you considered giving up dairy? I know that the newest gimmick is 3 servings of dairy a day can help you lose weight, but I loved dairy so much that I was having around 10 a day. Now that I have stopped drinking milk and eating cheese (switched to ice water and fat free sugar free popsicles) I've dropped 15 lbs. Oh, and walking as much as my back allows me to.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    I've lost a lot of weight before, so I am just going to what worked for me then: Exercise, exercise, exercise; eat whole grains, but not very many, high fiber, low fat everything; and a huge amount of will power!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Personally, I think you look great MPL! You are pretty skinny...I don't know whay you want to lose weight. I especially hope you are not trying to lose more than 5-10 pounds or there will be nothing left of you!

    Also, like The Dutchess, I am interested in knowing if you volunteered to get on the scale or if TAFKAC made you. (I hope he didn't or I will have to beat his ass!)

    Good luck to you, though. You gotta do whatever makes you happy! I know I am trying to be good too.

     
  • At 11:30 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Scales are overrated. Obviously.

    Good luck to you, I hate that battle.

    BTW I think you look great anyway!

     
  • At 12:07 AM, October 06, 2005, Blogger Dop T said…

    Baby, it has nothing to do with the scale and everything to do with how you look and how you feel. Yesterday I stunned my new physician (who stunned me back) when he said, "For a person who weighs 230 pounds you have very little fat on your body". SCHA-WING! If ya like how you look (and you ARE a hottie!) then don't sweat the small stuff.

     
  • At 1:00 AM, October 06, 2005, Blogger Siryn said…

    I totally feel you, Penny. I got on a scale for the first time in years a few months ago and I was shocked to see the number. I took my metabolism for granted, I guess, because that MF is slowing down!

    Time to do more nurture to help out nature.

    Although I look fine to outside eyes, I know I'm "skinny fat" - just carrying a little too much in the middle, considering where I used to be.

    Good luck with the change! And kick the Chef's ass. :)

     
  • At 10:12 AM, October 06, 2005, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I feel ya, MPL, and I wish you luck! Let me know if you ever want to travel to "Farlington" and take one of my spinning or pilates classes.

    Or just talk to MM about his workout regimen and diet for a little while. Trust me, it will give you inspiration. I've already dropped a pants size.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, October 06, 2005, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    KO--I would love to do a spin class or pilates with you!! I actually ordered Winsor Pilates last week--I can't wait to get it.

    P.S. Everybody: "The Chef" didn't MAKE me get on the scale, but if I wanted him to stop kikcing me in the shins, then I had to do it. ;)

     
  • At 3:04 PM, October 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mean Chef...we really don't want to hear about you and MPL's sexual doings! hee hee

     
  • At 3:38 PM, October 06, 2005, Blogger Phil said…

    But she had spunk, Poppy Cede! don't sell her short!

    She was just as "Golden" as the rest!

     
  • At 4:55 PM, October 10, 2005, Blogger That Girl said…

    I need to make a challenge with someone too!!! I need to get my butt in gear!! Seeing pics of myself on vacation last week disgusted me!!! YUCK!!! :)

     
  • At 2:03 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I'm right there with you girl! One month until my birthday, and I'm banking on being 10 pounds lighter for the celebration. Meow!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home