co

Miss Penny Lane


I always tell the girls, never take it seriously.
If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt.
Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun...
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Thanks for the Memories

Next time you have a drink, please make a toast to Mr. Joseph Barbera, half of the duo behind my childhood favorites: Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, and many others. Mr. Barbera died Monday in Los Angeles at the age of 95.

Some of my first, and favorite, memories are of Scooby Doo. I remember learning to love the sensation of fear while sitting alone on my parent's bed Saturday mornings watching those meddling kids solve mysteries. The show was followed by Captain Cave Man, which few people seem to remember....? I also grew up going to King's Island in Cincinnati (yes, the same amusement park featured in that famous episode of Brady Bunch); the rollercoaster for the littlest kids was the Scooby Doo coaster in Hanna-Barbera Land. My brother would take me on that ride before he ran off to the big-kid rides.

So, Mr. Barbera, thanks for all the great memories. Oh, and by the way, I forgive you for Scrappy Doo.

2 Band Aides had a tale from the tour:

  • At 11:21 AM, December 20, 2006, Blogger Ed said…

    I loved King's Island! I am from Dayton but grew up in Arlington, Texas, which is where the original Six Flags is. My sister and I always loved going to King's Island because it seemed so different than 6F; we were so accustomed to 6F that it got almost boring.

    We'll miss Mr Barbera. I got sucked into a Scooby Doo thing on TV this weekend. Total greatness.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, December 21, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    You Know You're From Ohio When... Down south to you means Kentucky.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home